Why Obama Should Not Speak at Our Lady’s University
Barack Obama is due to give the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame, “Notre Dame” meaning “Our Lady”, a name very familiar to Catholics. This is one of the most famous Catholic universities in the world.
Of course there is a great deal of opposition to Obama being invited to the school. Liberals are replying with their normal whining cacophony of “But but but… what about politicians who support war?!?! What about the death penalty?!?!” As usual, they are intentionally missing the point.
There are five reasons why Obama should not be speaking at any Catholic university, and especially not Notre Dame:
1) Obama has promised to sign the Freedom of Choice Act. This isn’t merely some pro-abortion law; it’s a direct attack on every orthodox Catholic in the country. If passed, Catholic hospitals would have to make a choice – commit abortions, or go out of business. If passed, Catholic medical students would likely have to learn how to perform abortions.
2) Obama has rescinded the Mexico City Policy, forcing all taxpayers, including Catholics, to give their money to organizations overseas which commit abortions. He might as well be forcing us to fund Hezbollah.
3) Obama has taken away the “conscience clause” which allows Catholic medical professionals to refrain from taking part in abortions and abortion related services. Again, he is directly attacking us, telling us that we must not only tolerate abortion, but that we must participate in it directly.
4) Obama has pledged to cut tax breaks for those who give to charities. Catholic organizations which help the poor get a great deal of money through charity. Obama is attempting to discourage people from giving to these charities.
5) Obama has forced us all to fund embryonic stem cell research, declaring that those of us who don’t want our money spent on it are anti-science. That’s what you call adding insult to injury.
Barack Obama is perhaps the most anti-Catholic president in the history of the United States, and that’s saying something considering our country’s past. Obama doesn’t just distrust or dislike Catholics as many men did in the 18th and 19th centuries. This isn’t just an issue of him taking a position or two which is contrary to Catholic teaching. Obama is using his power as president to attack us.
There is no way he should ever be welcomed at any Catholic university.